Sunday, February 21, 2010

Eternal Internet

So, I love this lecture by Lawrence Lessig. In case you don't know about it, click here, most of you won't watch it, it is long, but if you are ever stuck inside on a rainy Saturday, it will be worth it...

This idea that data lives forever on the internet is disturbing for me. Yes, yes, I'll be so happy to look up my blog in 30 years and remember this post.

But seriously. Think about all the bad things in the world that happen to good people. I hope to never be one and have my dirty laundry spread all over.

I have this friend, very good person. Got into some drugs a few years ago, hit someone in his car and ran. dumb***! He's in prison, paying fines, getting help, repenting for his sins.

I believe that he should be forgiven.

Isn't that what this country is about, second chances? But, the internet you see, won't allow this. Do you know how many employers Google a person's name before they consider hiring them? I'll just point you here for a couple different stats. The latest average is over 50%. When Googling his name, the top 5 stories are about his hit-and-run. Now I ask you, how is my friend supposed to get a job after this?

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Data on the internet being forever..totally scary. I had my scare recently when I randomly googled my name and saw my resume was the first result. (Just like you mentioned, I want to see what potential employers would see should they ever google me. ) I quickly remembered that last semester we had to upload our resumes on the web for an assignment and never thought about it being live for the whole internet world to see. To my horror, the resume still appeared even after I removed it from my personal AU drive. Google still was bringing up the html version of my resume. But after having the AU tech debt submit a request to Google for removal and waiting three days for the request to clear, all is well.

    It is unfortunate for your friend who is going through the proper steps but has the potential of having to recall his past experiences to potential employers. But it is a great turn around story and one couldn't argue the positives changes he has made.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is an sad situation. I agree with Olivia. I suppose that your friend could put a positive twist to his past, and hope that the interviewer is inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are really blogging this week. I was sure I commented on your post, but I couldn't find my comment when I looked for it. Seems it was on the post you did the day before this one about LinkedIn.

    So for your friend, maybe he'll just have to start blogging and push down the search results of those old articles--just as we talked about corporations doing. I'm sure you can share some tips with him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wish it weren't the state of the world we lived in, but it really goes to show everyone that there is no such thing as a "youthful indiscretion" anymore. I'm just happy there's a football player at Georgia or Georgia Tech with the same name, so I don't come up until page 7 or so...

    ReplyDelete