Saturday, January 23, 2010

My Thought or Your Thought?

I just have to start out by saying what is really the difference between 1 individual and a group?

I get it. One starts with 'I' and the other with 'G', but they are both Nouns, unless I am incorrect and my grammar has gotten worse since Elementary school. Totally possible.

A group really is just a bunch of individual together. Do they really have different ideas and mentalities? I have done a lot of group work in my day. Yes, yes us MBAs totally have. I like working with people that think differently then I do, but it seems that after time working in a group, we all develop this thing called:

Group Thought.

We all start to think the same, same ideas, same place, same actions. So the idea that a group could some how be threatening, to me, is just silly. Maybe all these people are just worried about not having creative ideas of their own. They have to rely on a group to create their thoughts for them. Here's and idea.

Think for yourself!

You'll be much happier!

3 comments:

  1. I agree that we must all think for ourselves and not look for group consensus before making a decision. Collaboration, however, doesn't have to mean giving up individuality. It can mean coming up with an idea, putting it out to the group, and having others build on that idea to agree, disagree, or make it better. The two are not mutually exclusive. After all, isn't that what our nation is kind of built on? The Declaration of Independence, US Constitution, Bill of Rights, etc. were not the product of one individual but rather a group of individuals with a common goal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree w/ Bloecher - joining a group doesn't mean I've checked out. In this sense, creativity is a livelihood, a means by which you are known and are a professional. Does that mean we have to fight when we sit down together? No. But creativity means we should go in all directions to find what we need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking for yourself is a part of being in a group. If each individual/group member doesn't have thoughts or creativity, then the group is useless!

    I think it's somewhat of a paradox. A group needs people, but in the end, the group gets the credit.

    ReplyDelete